[Gllug] Good up-to-date distro for mini-ITX?

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 13:06:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 12:25 +0100, Julian Somers wrote:
> On 17:19 Thu 22 Jun     , Rich Walker wrote:
> > Julian Somers <lists at bigpip.com> writes:
> >

> > > I have just remembered that we have had RAM failure in almost every one
> > > of our EPIA PD series machines.
> > >
> > > I assumed that it was a bad batch of RAM, or sloppy assembly.

Electro-static discharge is responsible for almost all hardware
failures.  Just a careless touch with an ungrounded finger can send a
mini lightning bolt that can irreversibly damage the silicon tracks,
causing partial fractures.  The thing is that the damage may not
manifest itself until a few months later, when the track eventually
completely gets cut off by the fracture (the fracture causes emf and
heat effects that cause the fracture to grow).

Here's a picture of some ESD damage:

http://www.chipworks.com/resources/downloads/esd01_1280.jpg

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk