[Gllug] X forwarding

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jun 11 11:51:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 12:35 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 07:11 +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 20:39 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > > I have a remote Debian box which I am connecting to thus:
> > >
> > > ssh -X myname at IPADDR
> > >
> > > But when I attempt to run any X based application I get...
> > >
> > > E233: cannot open display
> > >
> > > and typing echo $DISPLAY just gives me a blank.
> >
> > If you add "-v" to your invocation of ssh then it will almost certainly
> > tell you exactly why the forwarding is not happening.  It's probably the
> > case that your target machine has:
> >
> > X11Forwarding no
> >

> No, I had fixed that already. It seems I am missing xauth on the remote
> box and I cannot find the right package to install on the machine (xauth
> exists for Ubuntu but doesn't seem to be knocking around in my Debian
> set up)

john at bluebox:/var/lib$ apt-cache search xauth
xbase-clients - miscellaneous X clients
xrsh - remote execution of XWindow programs
xvfb - virtual framebuffer X server
john at bluebox:/var/lib$ dpkg -S xauth
xbase-clients: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth
xbase-clients: /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xauth.1x.gz
john at bluebox:/var/lib$

So it looks like the package which you need is xbase-clients

HTH
John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk