[Gllug] I have a windows problem

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 18:37:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:36 +0100, will wrote:

> 1) How do I install a Windows XP 'boot sector' on /dev/sda2?

"fixboot" from the recovery console.

> 2) How do I configure grub so I can boot from it in VMWare?

- Grub uses /boot, so make sure it's not mounted when vmware's running.
I just mount it when I'm installing a new kernel.

- you need to tweak the virtual disk file, because (with kernel 2.6) it
will have the wrong geometry. It's the .vmdk file, the
"ddb.geometry.cylinders" and "ddb.geometry.biosCylinders" fields need to
be changed to the total size of your hard disk (in bytes) divided by
512. This will almost certainly be a big larger than what vmware set.
With my 80Gb disk it's 156301488.

- you could have problems with Windows activation thinking you're using
the same license on two totally different machines...

Have fun
Tom SW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk