[Gllug] OT? Probably hardware - Routing: Why won't this work?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 14:00:46 UTC 2006

Current working arrangement:

Homechoice STB (effectively an DSL modem) attached to commodity
router/switch and various other boxes and switches attached to that
router.

What I'd like to do:

Upgrade the core to gigabit and for physical reasons this only makes sense
if I can put a gigabit switch between the router and the Homechoice box.
But when I have tried this before, using a 10/100 switch bits of the
network cannot route to the outside world.

Physically I suppose the difference is as below

Current system:

-------
Router    WAN port ------> HC

          LAN ports  ----->Rest of world

-------

Proposed

--------

Router    WAN port ------> Switch ------> HC

                                --------> Rest of world

If I have two connections (ie one from WAN port and one to LAN ports) from
the switch to the router would it work?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk