[Gllug] OT: Digital camera recommendations

will will at willj.net
Sun Jun 11 19:40:46 UTC 2006

Vary OT, but I think several people on this list know about this sort of
thing.

My trusty[0] Canon IXUS 400 has given up the ghost and is winging it's
way to silicon heaven (not it's fault, some clumsy muppet dropped it on
concrete...).

So I need to get a new digital camera, and I know very little about
them!  Can anyone here recommend one?

I have been tempted by a digital SLR that outputs images in RAW format,
because from what I have read this will allow me to get better quality
images, however I know very little about photography (at the moment).

The features I need are things like:

Set the white balance manually
Set ISO speed manually
Minimum 4 MP
Macro mode
Continuous shoot
Descent battery life
Preferably Linux compatible (no windows machine at home)

Any recommendations/success?  The Canon EOS 350D[1] is the sort of thing
I was looking at, although I probably won't be able to spend that much
money ;)  Max budget is probably £400

Thanks,
Will.

[0] mostly, http://smallr.com/1j4 (work safe, willj.net)