[Gllug] I have a windows problem

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 16:47:19 UTC 2006

will wrote:
> Simon Perry wrote:
>
>> I think you are confusing how VMWare works. I only have experience of
>> the free player but the "VM" stands for Virtual Machine.
>>
>> The virtual machine it creates runs from a set of files stored on the
>> host operating system.
>>
>> The disc it provides the OS you are installing is virtual as well.
>

> VMWare has the ability to use a physical disc partition as the drive for
> a virtual machine.
Yes but that partition will need to be native to the host operating
system. VMWare will still create the virual disc using its .vmdk files.
The virtual machine is exactly that it only exist within the VMWare
enviroment.

Google points to people who have taken an image of their original XP
install and used that in the virtual machine. This may work but you will
have to reactivate windows because of the hardware change. And you will
still not be able to boot back to a synchronised copy of windows. Which
I think is your aim.

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk