[Gllug] GLLUG Newsletter - 19/06/06

Geo. caparo.g at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:44:07 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 09:17, Ryland, Peter wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 19:25 +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> > Wouldn't this be more useful if it was a message board-style forum
> > rather than an email-based one? The collective wisdom of participants
> > would be laid before newcomers, questions would only have to be asked
> > and answered once, and people may become inspired by things written
> > months before. Furthermore, you could go away and think about things,
> > less pressure to have to respond instantly.
> >
> > Less ephemeral than an email list,
>
> That certainly sounds like some sort of magical forum.  Every forum I've
> ever seen has been *much* worse than a mailing list in terms of repeated
> information and random dribble.
>
> I know I harp on about this sometimes, but I still think we should go
> back to the old days of mailing lists when we got emailed a FAQ
> automatically once per month.
>
> Pete

Hi,
 It is a nice theory but in practice it does not work quite so well.I belong
to a number of Biker lists that are Forums and the amount of "fluff" that is
there stored is horrendous. The newbies still ask the same questions month in
month out because being new they sign on and ask without ever searching
(mostly they have not a clue how to !) Ok this is a Computer wise list but
the newbies are not so it may be slightly better.
 The other thing is Forums take up time in great chunks, where as mail I can
read between other things and delete / file as I go which to me is superb !

--
TTFN
   Caparo
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk