[Gllug] arp problem?

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 15:17:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> But the second box doesn't have an IP address, it just has a MAC
> address. The box is booted with a very simple slave program which simply
> loads loads the kernel into the right memory location and runs the
> bootloader.
>
> How would I implement an alternative in this situation?

The Linux kernel can be built to have a minimal DHCP (or BOOTP or RARP)
client in it, which will query for an address via the local network
interface.

Look for "IP autoconfiguration" in network options. You'll need a few
other things compiled in too (driver for the NIC chip, AF_PACKET
support, etc).

The other way would be to use an initramfs with a userspace dhcp client
- you could even have modular NIC drivers this way.

Whether the dreamcast port of the kernel supports initramfs, and whether
its NIC chip driver can be compiled in (instead of being a module), I
don't know.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk