[Gllug] pimping my elf

Alex Sayle alexs at alphacomplex.info
Wed Jun 14 16:12:44 UTC 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 16:29BDT, Christian Smith wrote:

> Don't bother. There lies pain.
>
> If you get pain for not doing this, ask your colleagues to justify
> why libraries names should be changed. If they do anything more
> than scratch their heads, or say "we've always done it this way"
> then they really can't come up with a reasonable excuse for this
> behaviour.
>
> It's just an insane scheme.

Actually... it isn't completely insane, its only a little bit insane.
I though the same thing when I first started.

The simple case, yes, going again the grain works but then comes the
case where the libraries don't have enough version information to be
distinguished. Say libbar4.2.1 comes out, and yet it still produces
libbar.so.4.2, or in the case of many build scripts that simply link
against libbar.so.0.

In these cases the link target still needs to be modified to load the
explicit version number.

The alternative is to chain humungously long LD_LIBRARY_PATH which has
limits to on how long an environment variable data size can be, plus
I think its far more kludgy.

--
  Alex Sayle                                     alexs at alphacomplex.info

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk