[Gllug] Monitoring system

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Wed Jun 21 11:56:06 UTC 2006

On 15:07 Tue 20 Jun     , manuel k. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just recently joined and am slowly getting back into using linux again. I
> was wondering if anyone on the list is using a combination of nagios and
> cacti for network monitoring? Or could someone recommend another
> combination of programs as I am looking at monitoring standard stuff like
> cpu, mem, disk space etc using snmp and would like to be able to provide
> some sort of alarming and reporting. Any help would be appreciated.

I learned, the hard way, that there are remote scripting exploits
against cacti. Restrict access to it if you can.

I recently ditched cacti altogether, and instead have a script that uses
rrdtool to write the graphs as PNGs every 5 mins to a php-free web
server. Not requiring mysql/php also means I can run fanless EPIA-M
boxes for monitoring.

My only problem with Nagios is that I found setting up redundancy really
complicated. I gave up. Has anyone got a nagios installation with working
redundancy?

Julian

> Many Thanks,
>
> Manuel