[Gllug] multi tape backups

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 26 15:52:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:09:03PM +0100, Alain wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:45:51PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:32:24PM +0100, Alain wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyone got any suggestions ?
> >
> > Amanda.  It added multitape support with version 2.5.  You could
> > replicate your existing set-up quite easily and gain some nice extras.
>
> AFIR Amanda uses tar to write the tape ....

Or dump.  Nevertheless, it can now split the images that it writes to
tape across multiple media volumes (e.g. tapes).  The downside is that
you would need to use amanda's recovery/restore tools to get the data
back.  But the tools are good.

Or you could try star.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock