[Gllug] Is it me or are the CPUs getting slower?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 2 16:37:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:06:44PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> I've booted an x86 live CD and that reports the same CPU speed (1 GHz)
> and Bogomips (~2000).
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> 1) Does an Athlon 64 3000+ really only run at 1 GHz?

No.  It runs at about 1.8Ghz and should show about 3600 bogomips, at
full speed.

> 2) If not, what might have slowed mine down and how can I speed it up
> again?

At a guess you have CPU frequency scaling enabled and so it slowed
itself down as it has no work to do?  In which case speeding it up
will be pointless unless you want a bigger electricity bill and a
computer that does nothing, faster. :)

You could prove this by running a tight loop to see if it speeds up.
e.g. the "yes" shell command.

Cheers,
Andy