[Gllug] E-Mail screening and reverse DNS

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jun 11 18:45:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Paul Cupis yowled:
> Ken Smith wrote:
>> My guess is that the IT dept at the remote site have set up some
>> rigorous reverse DNS validation. The reverse DNS for here will be
>> ksmithdsl.claranet.co.uk. So the reverse DNS for my locally hosted
>> domain won't check out. My outgoing e-mail goes directly and not via
>> Clara's SMTP server.
>>
>> So my question is: how is this dealt with?
>
> Fix your reverse DNS so it matches your forward DNS?

Why should it need to do that? Sites rejecting SMTP connections
where forward != reverse DNS (as opposed to those where forward and
reverse do not resolve to the same IP) will reject a very large
proportion of legitimate mail, including mail from many *major*
mailing lists.

--
`Voting for any American political party is fundamentally
 incomprehensible.' --- Vadik
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk