[Gllug] arp problem?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 23:40:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Richard Cohen noted:
> There are two reasons which come to mind to load a static value into
> the ARP cache:
>
> You're running a system without a hard drive, say, a Dreamcast, which
> has a kernel which picks up its own IP address at boot time by doing
> ARP the other way - "I've got MAC address XXXX - what is my IP
> address?"

Yep, I've done exactly that when netbooting Suns :)

(Hm, actually, this may only have been true of the old rarpd kernel
module: it's been that long since I last had to write a Sun netbooting
script on a Linux box, and I haven't tried booting without the arp
line, and, of course, said Sun is now decommissioned and kind of hard
to bring up to test this. The userspace rarpd seems to use /etc/ethers
instead.)

--
`Voting for any American political party is fundamentally
 incomprehensible.' --- Vadik
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk