[Gllug] OT: Digital camera recommendations

Peter Adamson peter.adamson at isode.com
Mon Jun 12 12:06:40 UTC 2006

Ken Smith wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
>
>> will writes:
>>

>>> Any recommendations/success?  The Canon EOS 350D[1] is the sort of
>>> thing I was looking at, although I probably won't be able to spend
>>> that much money ;)  Max budget is probably £400
>>>

>> Save up your money and buy the EOS 350D. It's the camera you want, and
>> once you have it, you'll realise that it was worth every penny. It's
>> only around 60 pounds over your stated budget, and I'll guarantee you
>> won't regret it. My girlfriend has one, and it's absolutely outstanding.
>>
>> Tet
>>

> Seconded, my Wife just got one, worth every penny
>
> Ken
Thirded (is that even a word?).
I've got one. It's great.
One thing about imaging software (That surprised the crap out of me),
apparently GIMP only supports 8-bit images.
Your RAW files coming out of the 350D are 16-bit. (So it's a good idea
to use something other than the GIMP for software editing.
Although If you really want to use the GIMP you can use the ufraw plug
in to see your RAW files. This will then convert them down to 8-bit files.

Cheers,
Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk