[Gllug] I have a windows problem

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 15:51:55 UTC 2006

will wrote:
> But I caused it from Linux, so this isn't completely OT! (and I figure
> that the brains on this list may know the solution).
<snip />
> VMWare installed fine in Linux and I pointed VMWare at the windows
> partition for it's disc, however it didn't like it, VMWare just showed
> the text:
>
> GRUB

I think you are confusing how VMWare works. I only have experience of
the free player but the "VM" stands for Virtual Machine.

The virtual machine it creates runs from a set of files stored on the
host operating system.

The disc it provides the OS you are installing is virtual as well.

The only access to your computers hardware is through the abstraction
layer provided by the virtual machine.

After installing XP onto your virtual machine you would need to mount
your XP partition under linux and share it in a way the virtual machine
can access probably via Samba. If XP is installed on NTFS then you are
unlikely to get any more than read only access to the files in your
windows partition.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk