[Gllug] OT: Burnt out power supply

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 16:03:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 11:03 +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
[snip]
> I've just been doing some power consumption tests because a customer was
> complaining about their electricity bill.
>
> Sample system based on 300w power supply, 2.0Ghz Intel Celeron, 512MB ram,
> 40GB hd and comparison between 17" crt against 17" tft.
>
> Power supply not connected to anything and just plugged into mains and supposedly
> switched off pulled 12w = 105 kwh per annum doing nothing.

I've been wanting to do this sort of test for a while and there was a
useful article about it in today's Independent.  As a result I
discovered that Maplin do a suitable measuring tool for £25 and I've
ordered one.  There's also an interesting looking gadget at
www.electrisave.co.uk, but that's rather more expensive.

John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk