[Gllug] Better than ntop

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Mon Jun 26 13:42:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 13:23 +0100, Minty wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Simon Morris <simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:
> > Basically ntop is great, but I can't pull accurate historical data
> from
> > it.
>
> 'xcuse the bluntness, but some variation on:
>
> */10 * * * * wget -N -O yyyy.mm.dd.hh.mm.ntop.html
> http://your-ntop-box.net/blah
>
> with an optional extra gzip line for files older than N, and another
> to remove files older than M?

Mm, not a bad idea actually.

One problem would be that ntop seems to gather stats from the point of
installation or the point of the last time the stats were purged.

So dumping the ntop site on a Tuesday would be OK if you installed it on
a Monday but dumping it on the Friday would capture the whole weeks
stats.

I still couldn't see what the traffic was like on a particular day
(unless I purged the stats daily)

Thanks

~sm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk