[Gllug] Thinkpad 240 install

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 11:50:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:51:27AM +0100, Tom Haddon wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a Thinkpad 240 (300Mhz Celeron, 192MB RAM) laptop with a blank
> hard drive. I'm looking into how to install on it, as it has no CD-Rom
> drive. I've tried going the Debian floppies route, but the problem I
> have is that the PCMCIA Xircom Ethernet card I have isn't being
> recognised with the network-drivers floppy. Does anyone have any
> suggestions for how to get around this? And no, I don't have a USB
> CD-Rom drive (although if that's the only way, I could probably buy one
> I guess).

An overview installation methods is here:
	http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s02.html.en

> It does have a USB (presumably 1.1) and I have a USB pendrive of 1GB, so
> I've considered copying a distro to this and trying to boot from floppy
> and then continue the install from the USB, but I'm not sure of the
> procedure for this.

I've not had to do it for sarge (Debian 3.1) yet, but it's usually
just a case of unpacking boot.img.gz from the hd-media directory:
	http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en

The USB pendrive is probably the easiest. There are other options
including network booting using TFTP, or running the installer from
a seperate FAT partition on hard drive.

> Also, a must have is modem drivers, since I'm setting this up for my
> brother who doesn't have broadband access. If I can't get that working,
> I'm going to have to go the Windows route, which I'd like to avoid if I
> can.
>
> Cheers, Tom

I would recommend checking the Linux Thinkpad website to find out what
type of modem the Thinkpad 240 has and what drivers are available:
	http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

I've run Debian 3.0 on a Thinkpad 240, but never had the need to use
a modem. I've no longer got the machine though.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk