[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 04:13:02 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>I'm about to set up a machine and would like to use both LVM and md on
>it. The machine will have two disks, and I want them set up as a mirror
>set, with LVM layered on top of this. I've not had cause to setup a
>machine with both before, and there seem to be several setup options -
>I'm curious if any of the LVM fans on the list have any specific
>suggestions, and reasons. I tend to build by own kernels and avoid using
>an initrd, so I'm currently tending towards keeping the root filesystem
>outside LVM. Any particular upsides or downsides to doing this?

Nope, there's no reason to keep the root filesystem out of LVM. The
only filesystem you need to do that with is /boot. I've had root in
LVM on all of my machines for years now. I also have a machine running
with ext3 on LVM on RAID1, and haven't run into any problems. It all
Just Works(tm). I'm using an FC4 kernel. I don't know if there are any
relevant differences between that and the Linus and/or Debian kernels.
YMMV.

My guess would be that you'd need to keep /boot out of any RAID devices
you create, too. Mine is. I guess it's possible that grub groks Linux
software RAID these days, though.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk