[Gllug] anyone

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Mar 22 16:10:49 UTC 2006

Donald W Williams wrote:
> Hi - I've updated my Suse 10 system - via YAST - and find Evolution to
> be "broken". I've had so much grief from it over the few months since I
> moved to Linux (I'm very happy to have made the move) that I immediately
> felt relief - "OK, it doesn't work, install Thunderbird and I'm online
> again, great!" But it wasn't OK of course and every time I want to do
> anything YAST shouts at me about it!
>    I hope the much-bragged-about helpfulness of fellow Linux users can
> switch on for me because I can't see a way out, immediately. At 72 my
> learning curve has to have a lot of the bend taken out of it. I have
> learned a great amount, but it seems I have a long way to go.
<snip>
Hi Don,

It's some time since I used YAST but, IIRC, the prompt it gives you when
it "complains" provides some options on conflict resolution. Indeed your
conflicts list does suggest some options.

Basically this seems to be a dependency issue - Eveolution depending on
other packages which in themselves may depend on packages and on it
goes. The problem being that the packages Evolution depends on seem to
be unavailable.
Your two options are to a) install the missing dependency packages or b)
remove the ones depending on them (in this case Evolution).

Thus in the conflict text you will see things like...

 > libcamel-provider-1.2.so.6 not available
 >     Required by:
 >         evolution requires libcamel-provider-1.2.so.6
 >         evolution-exchange requires libcamel-provider-1.2.so.6
 >     Conflict Resolution:
 >         ( ) Remove All 5 Referring Packages
 >             Delete evolution-exchange
 >             Delete multisync-evolution
 >             Delete evolution-sharp
 >             Delete evolution-pilot
 >             Delete evolution
 >         ( ) Ignore Conflict and Risk System Inconsistencies

YAST may say something similar. As libcamel-provider (and the others)
are unavailable you can't install them (option a) but you have already
expressed a dislike of Evolution (can't say I blame you) so you can take
option b and remove it and the other 4 packages listed above.
You should be able to do this via YAST but make sure you back up your
mail files first. This is probably going to be under your home directory
  somewhere.

hope this helps
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk