[Gllug] couple of quick questions (USB stick and backups)

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 23:27:16 UTC 2006

salsaman writes:

>1) On one machine I set up recently, auto mount of USB memory sticks is
>not working. When I plug the stick in, it gets recognised as /dev/sdb1,
>and a mount point /mnt/removable is created. /dev/sdb1 gets added to
>/etc/fstab correctly. If I manually do "mount /mnt/removable", then the
>stick is mounted and all is OK. What is missing that prevents this last
>step from being done ?

An entry in a udev config file that mounts the device. The entry is
already there to create the mount point and so on. All you need to do
is add a RUN key in the rule to mount it. See udev(8). There may well
be an automount daemon that expects to do this sort of thing, but there's
no reason to use anything other than udev here.

>2) I'm looking for backup software that can back up a running Linux
>system to an external drive. Does anybody have any good recommendations ?

tar(1)

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk