[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 13:44:08 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin writes:

>Of course, I had no backup (this just me at home). Rather than have you
>all lecture me how this is all my own fault, what is the best option for
>a cheap backup system?

Before everyone wades in with various opinions, what are your
requirements for a backup?

You've hinted that you don't need offsite storage. How much data do you
have? How often do you want to backup? How many backup revisions do you
want to keep? You'd be amazed at how many corporate sites don't think
about those. If you're backing up nightly, then if something fails (say
a file gets corrupted), you have at most a 24 hour window in which to
recover from backup before it's overwritten. Hence you might want to
keep multiple revisions, or increase the time between backups. Multiple
revisions is better, but adds extra cost and complexity. It's all driven
by the level of protection you feel you need.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk