[Gllug] Cloning Servers over HTTP

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 20:35:08 UTC 2006

"David Abbishaw" <David at Abbishaw.com> writes:

> Ive had a look at the sysrescue cd with partimage and g4l / g4u but none
> quite fit the bill.  I don't mind scripting some stuff round the tool as
> long as recreating an iso is sensibly documented.
>
> Of course if there was a way to mount a http file listing as a filesystem
> the above tools could probably be made to work for me.

SystemImager.

(You may need to tweak the ports it uses for rsync)

I use it to put together "standard" boxes where I can guarantee the
image is right.

You set up one client, clone it onto the server, then build a boot CD
for the other clients. Options exist to tweak things like where the IP
address comes from on setup, or always use the same one.

The hd image of the golden client is stored as a directory tree on the
server, so it's easy to break if needed.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk