[Gllug] anyone

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 12:34:36 UTC 2006

On 22/03/06, Donald W Williams <don at rose963.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>     I hope the much-bragged-about helpfulness of fellow Linux users can
> switch on for me because I can't see a way out, immediately. At 72 my
> learning curve has to have a lot of the bend taken out of it. I have
> learned a great amount, but it seems I have a long way to go.
>     I have a reasonable bit of HP kit and plenty of room on my hard
> drive - which holds only Linux. I have been unable to unravel using IM
> except as it applies to Skype, or to surmount the hills of the sound
> system involved.
>     I have googled for the files I am told will resolve the conflict and
> when I get there, I'm asked to download exactly the same file as is
> currently installed! Yeah, well, I did say I didn't much like Evolution!
>     If anyone's feeling a tad helpful I have attached the data from
> YAST, telling the tale. I await a kind hand - Don

Hi Don,

If worse comes to the worse and if you need someone to visit you to
have this fixed - I could come to visit you to have a look. That is,
if you live in London and not very far from Putney SW15 :)

I've helped fix a few desktops before. I can't promise success but I
can try my best. I am not specifically a "Suse Linux" user, but have
played with it from time to time.

I won't charge you anything, but for a cup of tea and the day's
travelcard. I don't drive. And am only functional on sunny days - late
afternoons.

Again, if you get really stuck give me shout.

kind regards

Henry Gilbert
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk