[Gllug] disk problems

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Mar 12 17:23:46 UTC 2006

Hi all,
	I have a failing hard disk (my home partition seems fubared var is
complaining but the rest seems OK for now)

The machine has a second hard disk which was easy to clear space on.

I've copied all partions except /home to /dev/hdb1 and now want to boot
from this.

Unfortunately I seem to have ended up in a state where the system thinks
/dev/hhdb1 is mounted on /

but really it's still using /dev/hda1

- and it's read-only

all I've done is to edit /etc/fstab to mount the second disk as my root
partition without mounting things like /usr which were sperate
partitions on hda

I then used grub interactively to boot from (hd1, 1) and specified the
kernel with parameter root=/dev/hdb1

I'm still using the swap partition from hda though.

To make things worse I can't get Knoppix to boot as it can't seem to
find the CD.

The system is an intel based desktop (from DNUK) so the hardware isn't
esoteric.

any help much appreciated.

Most stuff is backed up but I'd rather avoid a fresh ntsall if possible.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk