[Gllug] GIS - anyone using open source spatial stuff under Linux?

Paul M tallus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:28:29 UTC 2006

On 13/03/06, M.Blackmore <mblackmore at oxlug.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at a project (as a volunteer) with a nature
> conservation/environmental organisation in West Oxfordshire that will
> require development of GIS data and "displays". One element is to create
> educational "bootable CD/DVDs" containing stuff about the local
> environment. For all the obvious reasons open source is the way to go if
> we can make it work!
>
> I know nothing - literally nothing - about GIS apart from it being
> pretty maps on computer screens linked to databases. Yes, that bad. And
> I'm still a relatively shallow user of Linux (suse mostly).
>
> So looks like I've some catching up to do...
>
> Anyone around here with knowledge of, or is using, open source GIS and
> other spatial display applications?

I've been invovled in similar projects in the past, so I have a vague
interest, though never enough to use GIS in anger...

Anyways heres a bunch of links that should keep you busy - there is a
pretty strong open source GIS community.

 http://opensourcegis.org/
http://gislounge.com/ll/opensource.shtml
http://www.maptools.org/
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Home