[Gllug] e-mail software

J. Dudley Swale jackds at clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 14:49:18 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 09:26,
> J. Dudley Swale wrote:
> >snip ...
 Stuart Sears wrote
> Although I am sure this has already been decided, is there a specific
> reason why you are using POP and not IMAP for the shared boxes? It would
> avoid problems with downloading the mails when you didn't want to...

Server concerned only supplies pop.

> kmail can be set (per account) to ignore certain mailboxes unless you
> say otherwise... ('include in manual checking' IIRC)

Yes but this still involves regular reconfiguration of accounts.

> To force mails from a particular account to use a specific SMTP server
> you can look at the 'advanced' tab for each identity you have defined,
> and check the 'special transport' (IIRC) box for that one, which allows
> you to choose which smtp server is used for mails from that account.

I  am not trying to force mails to use a specific server, K mail does that
quite well. What I need is that they show the correct from address and they
always show the default one, they put the correct one in as a reply to
address which most recipients either ignore or do not see at all.

> well there are also evolution (spit) and thunderbird (entertaining
> defaults!) but they would also need customising. I know you can do
> everything I have detailed for kmail with thunderbird as well.
I looked at Thunderbird and thought that it acted in the same way as KMail but
chose KMail because the documentation was clearer so I may not be correct.

cheers
Jack
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk