[Gllug] still wondering about lvm

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Mar 9 21:38:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 07:18:41PM +0000, Adrian wrote:

> Firstly what does Incorrect metadata area header checksum mean and how
> can I fix it (google gives no simple/straight answers afaics and the STN
> is much better here :))
>
> and if /dev/hda5 is in the Ubuntu VG why doesn't df report it:

Because /dev/hda5 is not mounted.  /dev/hda5 is a physical volume used
to create the total storage available to the volume group.  Nor does the
volume group show up in the output of df, because the volume group is
not mounted.  /dev/mapper/Ubuntu-root does show up, because it is
mounted.

df shows utilisation/free-space on mounted filesystems.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"