[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 19:13:46 UTC 2006

Christian Smith <csmith at micromuse.com> writes:

> In a similar vein, pdumpfs will snapshot a directory structure, using hard
> links and date based directory hierarchy to keep space usage down. You'd
> have to dump the resulting hierarchy yourself for backup, a but it's
> useful to keep online just for the accidental deleted file case.

I run pdumpfs over the "relevant" directories of the windows machines
here onto the server.

Then I generate a "last 7 days" filelisting, and tar it as
windows.DAY.tar.bz2.

Same for /home on the server.

Then I burn a re-writable DVD of the results every day. There's a pile
of them in my desk at home; I rotate them in bunches of 3 or 4.

Today, I'm trying a mondoarchive of some 200-400GB of data. So far, it's
been running since 4pm, consumed 600MB of ram and hasn't written a DVD
yet.

Hmm.

> I run it from cron every night.

I actually run a couple of passes a day of the windows backup, 'cos they
aren't reliable at staying on the network :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk