[Gllug] postfix: ip address for outgoing mail

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 11:51:08 UTC 2006

Maybe I am being stupid,   but I was under the impression that an MTA (whether
postfix, exim, qmail or m-mouse !) simply sent out its mail over the 'default
route' and accordingly is unaware of what the 'source' ip address actually is !!

So, if your default route is via the main IP address thats where the emails
will appear to have come from as far as the destination SMTP machine is
concerned ??

Of course I could be talking out of the back of my head  -  but I dont recall
having to configure an IP address in either of the MTAs we use  !!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk