[Gllug] RAID 1+0 vs 0+1

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Mar 9 16:08:30 UTC 2006

Rich Walker wrote:
> "Steve Nelson" <sanelson at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Chums,
>>
>> A debate arose on irc as to whether there's a difference between RAID
>> 1+0 and 0+1.  I contend that 1+0 is more resilient.  Our esteemed Mr
>> Brooks disagreed, and stated "There is no difference".  As my attemtps
>> to draw ASCII depictions of disks kept getting interrupted, I  thought
>> I'd email to the list instead.
>
> For one-disk-failure: no difference.

Hmm, I'd expect better performance on one disk failure with 1+0 too.
You've got 5 spindles still running versus 3 for 0+1, and a 2/3 chance
of reading from a mirrored disk.

Of course, the point is not to sit there admiring your good performance,
it's to run and fetch another disk.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd