[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Mar 3 21:08:07 UTC 2006

Tethys wrote:
> 	A copy on disk is _not_ a backup.
>
> That's rubbish.

A copy on disk is a copy.

A backup is an indexed archive that guarantees a point-in-time recovery
of data to a time resolution decided by local policy. A backup is
distributed, is stored off or near line, and is non-trivial to corrupt
or delete.  A backup is on non-fragile media - a hard disk drive will
almost certainly not survive dropping 1 meter onto concrete, a DLT tape
almost certainly will.  A backup let's you see what changed, when
(within the above set time resolution), and preferably whom it was
changed by.

A backup is what you use when your data centre has burned down, all the
hardware is beyond recovery and you somehow have to get your production
systems operational again.

In this scenario if I turned round and said "Oh sorry, I copied all that
important stuff onto a RAID5 set, well, that's sort of a backup, isn't
it? And would you know it, it's corrupted on me!"  I'd expect to be
stared at in wild-eyed disbelief followed by laughter as they realise
that no-one, no-one who has ever dealt with mission critical data, ever,
could possibly confuse a backup system for copying stuff onto a bunch of
hard disks.

And then, as I have done mercifully few times before, I call up Hayes,
who's number has been in my mobile phone for a long time, and say
"Please send our last full backup set, and all the dailies since, on a
bike as soon as possible please."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk