[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 10:47:32 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I want to be able to recover 260 - 350 GB and it the idea is to cope
> with the sort of failure I've just experienced rather than anything more
> sophisticated

You can get hold of a couple of external 250-300Gb USB2/Firewire hard
disks quite cheaply. If you rotate them, and keep them disconnected and
unpowered when not using them, you get a reasonable level of data
security without spending a huge amount. It's not as good as tape, but
for the data sizes you're looking at you'd need an LTO drive and tapes.
If your data doesn't change a lot (e.g. a photo archive or something)
you can burn a bunch of DVDs as well.

I've always thought backup to be a pain for home users. Most don't do it
at all, so the economies of scale that have brought prices down on many
products have never really worked well for good tape drives. I use a mix
of RAID, external disks, and optical media. I'd love an LTO drive, but
the cost is just too much for home use.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk