[Gllug] Cloning Servers over HTTP

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Mon Mar 6 20:18:07 UTC 2006

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm looking for a
way to clone Linux Suse 8 and 9 servers over http using an existing apache
server that can't be too heavily modified.  I need http due to using an
existing firewall policy.

Things that I need to do are:
  x Create an image over what ever means as this can be frigged round the FW
  x Restore images of LVM2 partitions on IBM servRaid adapters 	(x345s and
x445s (although not servRaid - mpt I think)
  x Restore the image via http port 80
  x Boot server from cd and enter via a prompt some basic info like
	-	Server type
	-	IP
	-	Router
	-	And GO! To start - must be idiot proof for monkeys to do.

Ive had a look at the sysrescue cd with partimage and g4l / g4u but none
quite fit the bill.  I don't mind scripting some stuff round the tool as
long as recreating an iso is sensibly documented.

Of course if there was a way to mount a http file listing as a filesystem
the above tools could probably be made to work for me.

Thanks for the tips
David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk