[Gllug] What is the Mozilla & Firefox difference ??

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:43:27 UTC 2006

On 29/03/06, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[snip many firefox woes]
> 10/ No way to have a bookmark group as a toolbar button - the suite has
> done this for ages.

Are you sure about this?  Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're
talking about, it works just fine - I just dragged a 'bookmark folder'
out of the bookmark manager onto my bookmark toolbar, and it created a
nice little menu, and middle-clicking on the button opens all the
entries...

> 11/ Memory leaks and general instability. This one's a problem with the
> suite as well, admittedly.

The memory leaks are a big problem for me at the moment.  I don't know
if I've got a pathalogicial combination of extensions, behaviour, or
what, but on my laptop (with a slow hard drive) I find that firefox
approaches 100% of physical RAM within a day or two of starting it,
and the machine then becomes unusably slow.  I suspect there is a
slight catch-22 going on - one of the extensions known to leak is
sessionsaver, but I rely on it to restore my session when I have to
restart due to running out of memory.

> Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot to like in Firefox, and on the
> whole it's a great browser. I don't think it's "better" than the suite
> though - in a number of ways it's a step backwards. Taking a load of
> useful options out of a preferences dialogue and hiding them somewhere
> where they're visible only as arcane strings with no explanation has
> never seemed like an improvement to me. Then again, maybe that's why I
> don't have much fondness for Gnome and Windows.
>
> I'm a firm believer that configuration options should be exposed
> logically, and stored in a readable and portable manner. The old Unix
> method of each app having a dot file works well. The repeated
> re-inventions have little in common, except they're all IMO worse than
> what they're trying to replace.
>
> Mike

Cheers
Richard