[Gllug] Hiring computer time

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 27 08:46:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:29:57AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 13:42 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I know there's a lot of talk about "grid computing" and so on.  But
> > nothing very concrete.
> A first impression of the Sun $/cpu/hour
> http://www.ccombs.net/weblog/2006/03/23/entering_the_sun_grid_a_quick_tour.html
>
> Grid computing is alive and kicking, or so I hope as I'm off out and
> about up North this week putting in four sites. Interesting thing here
> is high performance cluster storage on each site, linked by SuperJanet.
>
> No help to Richard, but one at least one of our customers does have a
> collaboration with industry and industrial users use their cluster
> remotely.

Thanks for the article.

We'd really like to use Sun's Grid, but it's US-only, apparently after
they were leaned on by the US govt.  Something about people simulating
nukes on them - as if a foreign organisation was so poor that it
couldn't afford to buy a bunch of dual-core Opterons, but yet so rich
that they could spend $1/hour on Sun's grid.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk