[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Mar 4 01:33:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:09:52AM +0000, Brad wrote:
> The software RAID was degraded but came back up ok.  it has sw RAID swap as
> well across all four disks which works fine plus other RAIDed partitions all
> check out.
>
> We had to change heads in two of the four drives, only a few bad sectors but
> i think they were in the critical areas of that partition.

How big are these disks?  The xfs repair tool  can use the secondary
superblock to repair the primary superblock, but it uses the primary to
find the secondary.  If the primary is really bad, it has to scan the
filesystem to find the secondary.  This could take some time, if your
filesystem is large.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.