[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 08:13:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 22:46 +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006, John Winters suggested tentatively:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 16:11 +0000, Nix wrote:
> >> You need multiple offsite locations.
> >
> > Why do I need multiple off-site locations.  Yes, I can see that a major
> > business might want to have their data stored in several locations, but
>
> That was the stated requirement for a `real backup'.

No, that wasn't one of the requirements Martin put in his thesis.  The
nearest thing to it in his actual text is:

"A backup is distributed, is stored off or near line, and is non-trivial
to corrupt or delete."

You can easily meet this requirement with just one off-site location.
Now it may be that the requirements specification for a particular
installation specifies multiple off-site locations - and with good
reason - but it wasn't one of the defining characteristics which he
gave.

As I said some way back, when you see a requirement formally stated like
that it can look daunting, but it's not as difficult as it sounds.
Certainly I would never consider running a business or doing any serious
development without a backup strategy that met Martin's specification as
a very minimum.

> I don't think it's practical either.

I hope the "either" there applies to the "practical" and not the "I".  I
do think it's practical, although whether it's required depends on the
individual case.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk