[Gllug] BT voyager 220V adsl device

Dan Stevens (IAmAI) dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 22:01:15 UTC 2006

You shouldn't have to use the modem/router supplied with your ISP -
you should be able to use any router as long as you configure it
correctly. I was with BT for awhile and did use their supplied router
until I got my own wireless router. The wireless router worked fine,
although I can't remember if I was Linux when I was still with BT, but
that should make any difference - I'm using it Linux via Bulldog
broadband now, with no problems. As for the modem/router supplied by
your ISP, I'd imagine it would work fine straight out of the box, as
long as you connect it to your computer using an ethernet cable,
assume the router has an ethernet socket. If it doesn't, you'd have a
nigh impossible chance of getting it working via USB; I had to install
BT's propriary software before it worked .

Eitherway, I'd recommend buying a third party router anyway as it will
perform better (I had choke problems when playing online games), but
you should be fine using the supplied one with Linux, if it has an
ethernet socket. Just make sure you get CAT 5 crossover cable if
you're going wired (someone else please confirm whether or not it's
crossover for me, in case I'm wrong - thanks). It's likely that the
supplied modem/router will be pre-configured for BT's connection, so
you wouldn't have to concern yourself with configuration to get it
working, unlike a third party router. However, ASDL connections are
pretty much the same accross the board. Even when I changed to Bulldog
with their 8meg service I didn't need to change many settings at all
so if you need help configuring your connection, I could probably help
you with that and tell you what settings you need, although BT should
tell you that anyway.

Hope this helps!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk