[Gllug] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Emon contact_emon at gawab.com
Tue Mar 28 19:29:49 UTC 2006

Hi all

I running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop. Since Slacwkare10.2 Gnome has
been dropped from the vanilla packages. I didn't mind because I never
used Gnome. But you can still get unofficial Gnome pkg from FREEROCK,
DROPLINE & others like them. Having shifted to Linux from Windoz, I
found KDE easier to use. But my question is why are some people
(especially the old guards :) I think ) still seem to be obsessed with
Gnome?? Is there any reason in particular, or is it just nostalgia?

Also there are some applications which are very very dependent on Gnome,
like Evolution, Gnomemeeting to name a few. Why does applications have
to be so Gnome dependent, can't they be a bit more independent??

Hope I asked the questions right.

Thanks
Emon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk