[Gllug] Why won't tar access a remote device?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 08:40:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 08:33 +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, John Winters announced authoritatively:
> > I use tar on the machine with the files, accessing the tape drive by
> > means of tar's inbuilt remote device access, piggy-backed onto ssh.  The
> > thing is - I can't see what it is that tar thinks is failing.  The
> > following is a (very short) strace of what tar does and I can't see why
> > it thinks things have gone wrong.  It doesn't even seem to think about
> > trying to access the remote machine - it just says, "Won't".  Can anyone
> > see why?
>
> I concur.
>
> Unfortunately without knowing what the command line was, debugging by
> looking at the source is very difficult,

The command line is included in the first line of the strace.  It
doesn't seem to be crucial what the exact command line was - anything
involving a remote device seems to trigger the bug.

I notice that a security fix led to a new version of tar in Sarge just
at the end of February.  This seems to be when the problem started.  I
will investigate further.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk