[Gllug] disk problems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 00:28:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Tethys moaned:

> Nix writes:
>
>>              Jan 2006: oops, Suns are SCA: get another disk
>
> Of course, an SCA to PC SCSI converter can be had for under a tenner
> (I have several).

Not one that'll fit in Netra drive trays; there's no room.

Of course I found out later that the Sun disks have that stupid plastic
caddy/flap thing screwed to them with some insane Torx-like thing I
can't figure out how to disconnect, and disks without it won't fit in
the drive trays, and the Sun started having intermittent RAM problems
too, and nobody I knew was competent to fix it. I said `sod it' and
migrated everything off the Sun. (A shame that my last 64-bit hardware
is now dead, but at least all the hardware I've got is maintainable.)

Exactly such an adapter is now keeping said SCA disk running as /dev/sda
in loki :)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk