[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 13:21:41 UTC 2006

I have had a miserable weekend - I added a 200 GB disk to my main server
lvm on Friday and on reboot it failed - saying it could not find one of
the physical volumes - it looked suspiciously like a known bug in Fedora
Core 4 (though one that was meant to be fixed a couple of months ago) -
but after 12 hours of struggling I gave up trying to rescue the system
(there was no physical damage) and just abandoned FC4 on the box and
built a new setup with Ubuntu.

Of course, I had no backup (this just me at home). Rather than have you
all lecture me how this is all my own fault, what is the best option for
a cheap backup system? I am attracted by the idea of using NAS and half
a terrabyte of disks, just syncing in the small hours of the morning. I
know that won't ptotect me against lightening strikes and the like, but
in the balance between affordability and resilience I'll live with that.

Anything else?

And, while you are here... why do I get this on my server now:

root at dragoneye:~# pvscan
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  PV /dev/sda5   VG Ubuntu   lvm2 [186.07 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/hda5   VG Ubuntu   lvm2 [76.45 GB / 460.00 MB free]
  PV /dev/hda1               lvm2 [101.76 MB]
  Total: 3 [262.62 GB] / in use: 2 [262.52 GB] / in no VG: 1 [101.76 MB]

ie the "Incorrect metadata" - as well as this:

root at dragoneye:~# df
/dev/mapper/Ubuntu-root
                     190527180   2228540 178620408   2% /
tmpfs                   258160         0    258160   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1               233335     27083    193804  13% /boot

ie although /dev/hda5 is configured as part of the volume group Ubuntu
it doesn't appear in the totals of available space?

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk