[Gllug] Guest account for Linux??

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 20:35:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Richard Jones whispered secretively:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:44:32AM +0600, Emon wrote:
>> I thought there was a especial limited user (by default) called 'nobody'
>> & a especial limited group (by default) called 'nogroup'...... is there
>> any to use them as guest account?? if so how?? especially in KDE??
>
> Don't use 'nobody' -- it's a special account used by some daemons and
> is not supposed to have write access to any files.

Well, it's only supposed to be used to access NFS when root-squashing
(although I'm currently running some unprivileged Munin plugins as it
as well: I should fix that).

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk