[Gllug] DNS CNAME usage.

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 13:29:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:22:41PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:10:29PM +0000, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anyone have an opinion about CNAME usage and using a CNAME record
> > to refer to a canonical name that is not part of the current domain and
> > whether there should be problems associated with this?
> >
> > For instance.
> >
> > www.foo.com	IN	CNAME	foo.bar.com
>
> It should work, but it means that the name that appears in the browser location
> bar is different from what they typed in.

Huh?  That has nothing to do with DNS.  There is no reason why the
name on the left of the CNAME can't be what appears in the browser
window; this is controlled by the webserver, e.g. UseCanonical or
whatever on Apache.

AFAIK the only possible "downside" to using CNAMEs in this manner is
that it intriduces extra lookups and possibly additional nameservers
whose configurations may be wrong, etc.

ALso the above example is missing the trailing dots but I assume
that is a simple typo.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB