[Gllug] disk problems

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 15 09:59:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:27:30PM +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Nix wrote:
> > Everything seems to be stable now, but RAID it is, and because I want
> > actual *robustness* I'm LVM+RAID-5ing everything necessary for normal
> > function except for /boot, and RAID-1ing that.
>
> RAID 5 = 3 hard disks + controller...
>
> I can't really justify the expense of that even though I have had a
> couple of failures (and one or two learning experiences a while back)

Software RAID-5 is 3 hard disks.  Software RAID-1 is 2 disks and
still gives you the same level of redundancy.

If double the disks costs vastly more than your data and time is
worth then I agree with you however I think that is the case for
very few people.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB