[Gllug] disk problems

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Mar 14 06:48:38 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Sean Burlington suggested tentatively:
>
>>Hi all,
>>I have a failing hard disk (my home partition seems fubared var is complaining but the rest seems OK for now)
>

> Join the club. After I lost two disks in a month-long period I went
> all-out and have now RAIDed the lot. No more disk death for *me*.

It's my second disk failure in 2 years which is bad enough.

But 2 in a month !!!

Overheating is a possible cause with me - the box didn't really have
enough room around it.

I think I'm going to make more effort to switch off overnight in future
- it seems to me that it's boxes that get left on for months which have
problmes.

> What is `the system'? /etc/mtab (as used by df(1)) is maintained by
> mount(8) and is terribly unreliable; it's confused by mount --bind,
> per-process filesystems, chroot(8), mount --move, mount --rmove, subtree
> sharing, you name it, it confuses it.
>
> /proc/mounts is maintained by the kernel and is actually reliable. What

this seems bad - here was no /proc/mounts

>>I then used grub interactively to boot from (hd1, 1) and specified the
>>kernel with parameter root=/dev/hdb1
>

> That should have worked. I'd say you're using /dev/hdb1 unless you have
> an initrd or initramfs that is ignoring root= (which would be terribly
> bad form).

not using eiher of those

It's been a while since I deleved into grub so I thought maybe I was
doing something wrong.

Oh well - I don't think there is much point avoiding the re-install at
this point

Thanks for your help

--

Sean