[Gllug] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Mar 28 20:30:13 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I do object to the Gnome
> configuration database and daemon - gconf is far too much like a
> reimplementation of the Windows registry for my liking. Thankfully the
> Gnome people are kept well away from the kernel :-).

rw at thoth:/home/shadow/Datasheets/Microchip/PIC$ du /etc/gconf/
7824	/etc/gconf/schemas
8	/etc/gconf/1
8	/etc/gconf/2
1460	/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
4	/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
9308	/etc/gconf/
rw at thoth:/home/shadow/Datasheets/Microchip/PIC$

And I haven't touched any of them.

(It's better than it used to be. I think I filed a bug report when I
noticed it was 22MB)

Mind you, I program to gtk all the time - 'cos I'm *not* a C++
programmer. I went through that whole "object-oriented" fad a long time
ago...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml