[Gllug] Old disk in new machine *just worked*

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Wed Mar 15 23:43:32 UTC 2006

I had a PC (running FC4) die last night [*1]. I took the disk out of
it, and put it into a different PC. My intention was to boot a Damn
Small Linux live CD I'd just downloaded, manually run the rsync which
should have run last night, install fedora on the other disk in the new
PC, then copy the files back from the old disk.

I wasn't paying attention when I thought the live CD was booting, the
CD boot failed, and the PC booted straight from the old disk. I
wouldn't expect a full Fedora install from one machine to boot cleanly
in another (different motherboard, different manufacturer etc.) ifdown
complained about the MAC address, but that's to be expected, apart from
that there have been no problems.

This raises 2 questions:

	1) Did this work through luck or design? I presume it's a bit of both

	2) Are there any things I should check for, other than a trawl through
/var/log/messages tomorrow?

Regards,

Paul

[*1] It kept rebooting at intervals of 10sec-15mins, replaced the power
supply - same problem, unhooked the reset button, still same problem
--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~  4-14 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4LU

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk